Fourteen Suffolk County Community College Culinary Arts student-competitors were challenged with a two-and-a-half hour time limit to whip up a winning cupcake at what has become an annual competition at the Suffolk County Community College Culinary Arts Center: Cupcake Wars.
Jacqueline Segovia of Brentwood, center, took first place and was awarded a $750 scholarship and assorted baking supplies. Jacqueline created a mango cupcake with a mango cilantro salsa and an avocado icing. At left, second place and $500 went to Yvette Boucher-Denning of Mastic Beach for her Hummingbird cupcake with salted caramel filling, cream cheese icing drizzle with salted caramel and chopped pecans. At right, Heather Hoffmann’s third place chocolate potato cupcake with a mint pastry cream and Baily’s Irish Cream buttercream, earned a $250 prize.
- Michael Stryska Memorial Scholarship
- Michael Todd Memorial Scholarship
- Russell Klein Memorial Scholarship
- Ryan Hautsch Memorial Scholarship
- Eastern Long Island Executives (E.L.I.E.) – Culinary Arts Scholarship
- Michael Thorne Memorial Scholarship
Find Suffolk County Community College Alumni Association online: